Like I was saying. . .

Like most blogs, this is just a compilation of stuff that occupies my mind.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Camilla Kimball

When I was a teenager, I read a biography of Camilla Kimball. She was the wife of Spencer W. Kimball, who was a President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints when I was very young. She was a remarkable woman. There was so much about her that impressed me, and made me want to be better. I guess it takes an amazing woman to be wife and helpmeet to a Prophet of God.

One thing, however, really stood out. She had talked about a life lesson she learned: when you think of someone, call them. Listen to those small promptings you get. If you feel the slightest inkling to contact someone, JUST DO IT. She said the she never regretted following that advice, but there had been times that she had deeply regretted ignoring it.

I've carried that with me, but I haven't been the best about always doing it. Recently I did feel that I should call a friend, but I kept putting it off. When I finally saw her, I could see that she was really emotionally worn out and needed a friend. I told her that I had been feeling like I should call her and that I was sorry I hadn't. She let me know that she wished I had listened to that, too, because she really did need a friend.

So I am going to try harder to follow those promptings. It doesn't take long to call someone. Who knows if I am the person that they need just then? If I don't follow through, who will? We're here to lift and help each other. And so, I'm going to add this to my list of things to make my life more positive and meaningful.

My mom always said, if you want to make a friend, be a friend. I've already called a friend today. Have you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home