Like I was saying. . .

Like most blogs, this is just a compilation of stuff that occupies my mind.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Free Day!

So I got a huge wake-up call a couple of weeks ago. I went to the doctor for my annual check-up and all those wonderful things that a woman gets to endure every year. Somehow, I've managed to gain 15 pounds this year. I'm the same weight now that I was the day I went in to have my 16-month-old.

I come from husky (coughfatcough) German stock, rife with diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Aside from obvious cosmetic issues, I'm pretty freaked out for my health.

So I've started watching what I eat. No stringent plan, just really watching portions and limiting simple carbs and sugar. WELL. Thanks to fitday.com, I've come to realize that I was eating roughly twice what I need in a day. Dang. Emotional eating, mostly.

In order to avoid total failure, like all my other diets have, I'm allowing myself one Free Day. Saturday is the day that I forget that I'm on a diet and do whatever in the heck I want. Body for Life recommends it. My sanity counts on it.

The cool thing is, I find I'm not really binging at all. I don't want to mess up what I've done all week, but also I'm recognizing when I'm satisfied and enjoying the taste of things instead of just inhaling- then inhaling more. I feel so much better overall that bogging my body down with sugar just doesn't sound appealing, so I'll allow myself some, but I don't want half the pan.

Moderation works for me.

I need to add exercise into the mix, but this is the healthiest I've lived for a long time, maybe ever. Even my attitude is healthier. I'm starting to see and feel a little bit of difference already, and that feels good. Mostly, I love being in control of things again. Having no order or control or limits on what I was eating really didn't feel good. I guess that could be an analogy for a lot of things. Fill in the blank.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I meant to put the brownie batter comment here, sheesh.
    anyway, I think its awesome to shoot for good health. we want to be around for our kids and grandkids right?
    that will be my goal, health, once I get through this stretch.
    take care
    T

     

Post a Comment

<< Home